Thread: Surgery Stories
View Single Post
Old 02-02-2011, 09:08 PM   #7
Jean

Re: Surgery Stories

Hello Ginny,
Congratulations on finishing chemo. You will find the surgery much easier. I had a lumpectomy and SNB and the wire. General anestesia, sometimes the dr. will give a mild sedative prior to relax you. The anestesia is painless and once they administer the drug you will feel
sleepy in a few seconds, it is very fast. For the most part you will feel a bit drugged when the nurses begin to wake you. You will feel like you want to rest. But the drug wears off rather soon. I went home the same day from surgery. You will not be able to drive and you will not feel like doing much. The wire is a little uncomfortable while they insert but not painfull - more annoying for a few min. than anything else. They will take an x ray to check that the wire is in the correct place and position.
Usually you are not permitted to drink or eat before the surgery or the morning of the surgery.

The surgery is not painfull - you may feel some soreness in the area - for the most part you will not be in pain.
I also took tylenol when I got home. I did not have any swelling or arm issues as far as movement. SNB was very easy. The longest part for me was waiting to go into the surgery room. I got to the hospital at 6 AM and did not go into surgery until noon. After my surgery I was moved to a recovery room and about 2.5 later I was leaving to go home. They check your vitals and if your blood pressure is normal and you feel okay you are released. I did stay home from work the next day but was well enough to go the next day. Hope this helps.

I wish you all the best and please let us know how you are.

Hugs,
Jean
ER+ 90% / PR-, Her2+++ by FISH
Ki-67 40%
Arimidex 5/05
Radiation 32 trt, 5/30/05
Oncotype DX test 4/17/06, 31% high risk
TOPO 11 neg. 4/06
Stopped Arimidex 5/06
TCH 5/06, 6 treatments
Herceptin 5/06 - for 1 yr.
9/06 Completed chemo