View Single Post
Old 07-18-2014, 08:56 AM   #2
AlaskaAngel

Re: Anyone here in this study?

Hi Bonnie,

There are a number of studies on the use of metformin to treat cancers -- not just bc, either. I got interested in it because I learned that the basis for some of the studies on metformin use with breast cancer started out from one Canadian female doctor, who happened to observe that of her patients who dealt with breast cancer, the ones who happened to be on metformin seemed to have more success in dealing with their cancers.

In considering it, I found it also worthwhile to consider metformin as a possible weapon against cancer, because chemotherapy doesn't kill stem cells -- but metformin does.

I have no diabetes, but with menopause I have become more resistant to insulin. That contributes to weight gain, which puts patients at higher risk for recurrence.

Anyway -- it might be worthwhile to go through the introductory process with the investigators, to ask questions and find out whether you would find it worthwhile to participate. I'm envious of your choice there, because there are so many trials like that, that I can't be part of because of the distance involved in completing the requirements. I have been in one clinical trial now for 10 years but it does mean being seen in Seattle at least yearly for a procedure, and in addition because I live so far away from the trial investigators, they don't pay for the lab here to do the blood draws for me during the rest of the year, although they do cover having the samples sent to them once the draws are done.

I just wanted so desperately when I was diagnosed to contribute to better information for everyone, and clinical trials are a way to do that.

A.A.
IDC 1.9 cm, some DCIS, Stage 1, Grade 3
Lumpectomy, CAFx6 (no blood boosters), IMRT rads, 1 3/4 yr tamoxifen
Rads necrosis
BRCA 1 & 2 negative
Trials: Early detection OVCA; 2004 low-dose testosterone for bc survivors
Diet: Primarily vegetarian organic; metformin (no diabetes), vitamin D3
Exercise: 7 days a week, 1 hr/day
No trastuzumab, no taxane, no AI
NED
AlaskaAngel is offline   Reply With Quote