View Single Post
Old 01-30-2005, 01:56 PM   #2
Sandy H.

Ginger welcome to this board. You came to a great place and will find this a very caring and compassionate board. Many on this board do research are pro active in their care as well as willing to help others with qestions. I would say you are doing well. No one knows if you are cured! You are on Tomox and that is good. You had neg. nodes which is a plus. Even though you are Her2 doesn't mean you will recurr. As for the Herceptin the latest I have been told by an oncologist is that it only works for 30% of the people that take it and that is mostly stage 4. I was told that it does not prevent the cancer from going to the organs and bone. That surprised me. It can be very toxic to the heart and if that happens when it is being given for those that are not stage 4 then it may mean that it can not be used when it is really needed. You will get lots of responses from others saying this may not be true. Many doctors do not like to give it until a patient recurrs. Do your research and then go with what you are comfortable with. It may mean getting second and even 3 or 4 opinions. Treatments are changing these days and what is being done today may change next month as new data keeps coming out. I wish you luck in your journey. Thanks for posting. Hugs, Sandy