View Single Post
Old 05-25-2011, 06:13 PM   #1
TriciaK

Update from TriciaK

I have not been feeling too well for awhile so haven't been online much, but I do think of all of you every day. It has been a year since the diagnosis of my 4th cancer battle, and finding the right chemo has been a struggle. I feel good about the halavan we are trying now. I had one full round of halavan (infusion on two consecutive weeks, then one week off) and started the second round a week ago Tuesday. I was supposed to have it again on Tuesday of this week, but the oncologist decided I need to skip a couple of weeks because I developed a UTI and was prescribed 1000 mgs of cipro a day. I felt fine after the halavan, but after starting the cipro 3 days later I became very weak and dizzy, so much so that I couldn't walk. I saw the doctor Tuesday of this week, expecting to do the halavan again, but the oncologist decided I need to get off both the cipro and the halavan until I could get stronger. I am disappointed to miss the chemo, but hopefully will get strong enough to start it again in two weeks.
I am doing fairly well on the halavan I've taken so far. I have had an appetite and been able to keep food down. I am rapidly losing my hair but I can live with that, since I have several nice wigs. I think being able to eat is better than hair loss! I think I am feeling a little stronger after being off the cipro for a couple of days and hope we can get back on the halavan track in two weeks. If the uti is a problem I will try levaquin. My blood tests have looked very good and the ca 27/29 dropped in half after the first halavan, so I am feeling quite hopeful! An echocardiogram two weeks ago showed that my ejection fraction has dropped to 45, so I am not able to take herceptin, which makes me a little uneasy. My cardiologist wants me to have another echo next week. Do any of you on halavan take herceptin with it?
I was blessed with a new great-grandbaby last week, and have 4 more due this summer. I think that will make 46 great grands! I am so thankful for a wonderful family support group which really keeps me going. I have to stay around to meet all these new babies!
I try to catch up with this website at least once a week, and even if I don't post I am thinking of you and praying for each one of you. This site has meant so much to me and I thank each of you for all you contribute. Hugs, TriciaK
TriciaK is offline   Reply With Quote