View Single Post
Old 06-02-2011, 03:33 PM   #15
Blondie

Re: Decision Time - Need Advice

Hi,

A very difficult decision to make. 10yrs later I had a recurrence / new primary!! I was 32 when first diagnosed, single and very fearful. I went to one of the best surgeons in our area who did a wonderful partial mastectomy-my breast looked no different. Had radiotherapy.

When I was not happy with the supposed "beneign calcifications" I elected to have a mastectomy. I researched about reconstruction after radiotherapy and went to several plastic surgeons- all had great concerns because I had previous radiotherapy and could affect successful outcome. This is because skin does not heal and over time the skin shrinks which causes huge problems with implants- contractures.

I chose quality of life, mastectomy and no more surgery and I am planning having mastectomy next year. No more cancer for me!

So, if you are having radiotherapy, think about it very carefully. Because if you ever need a full mastectomy and want reconstruction, it may be very difficult after radiotherapy.

To be honest I had regrets that I hadn't had mastectomy 10 yrs ago, as I had to go through this all over again! With no real option of reconstruction that would be successful or not needing ongoing surgeries.It is alot harder the second time. In my 30's this disease
effected my life immensly- and now it is here for my 40s- well it isn't going to be for my 50's!

Around the time I was researching all of this I found an interesting article basically questioning if lumpectomies vs mastectomy is actually killing our young women, as they are young and the likelihood of them having recurrence again in future is higher.

I saw beautiful photo of a young women on a beach- topless who had bi lateral mastectomy. She was wearing bikini bottoms, sitting with her children playing in the waves. She looked absolutely beautiful and after a while of looking at photo I forgot she didn't have any breasts. After seeing this photo I thought I can do this! My husband is absolutely wonderful and has no problems with the fact I have a "foob" now.

It is a huge decision. After what I have been through I would highly recommend that if you are going to have reconstruction, have a mastectomy now. As reconstruction is so much more difficult after radiotherapy. Some Surgeons will deny this and say it can be done. It can, however most of the time it is very difficult- particularly implants.

You have do what is right for you! From your photo you are a beautiful young women, with a whole lot of living to do!

I wish you all the best!

Blondie
1/11 nodes +
Lumptectomy, radiotherapy
CMF chemo and 6 yrs Tamoxifen
Retesting in 2010 revealed tumor to be HER2+++

Microcalifications on mammogram
12 biospies- all clear
MRI-all clear

July 2010
Elected mastectomy right side,
10cm IDCS