View Single Post
Old 03-05-2013, 03:25 PM   #5
CoolBreeze

Re: Sighing all the time? Am I crazy??

That was interesting, Jackie, thanks.

GQMom, sighing is not a sign of lung mets. In the years I've been involved with metsters, I've never once heard anybody complain about sighing as a symptom. You admit to having anxiety and I am guessing your sighing is part of an anxiety syndrome.

It's shameful how nobody teaches people to get well after a traumatic experience like cancer. They amputate a body part or two, they put us through a poisoning system, they tell us that it could come back any time and we aren't safe for years, if ever, and then say "good-bye." So, we are left with these new bodies, and every ache and pain or odd thing we imagine is cancer returning.

They really need to teach us how likely cancer is to return (not very) and what to look for and how to relax and not think every ache and pain is cancer. And, that it takes a long time to get used to or heal our bodies, and stuff like pain in the hips and lower back is normal after chemo. Sighing could be a sign of low red counts still, or it could be anxiety. And, the more you pay attention to these aches and pains, the more real they become and the more they bother and hurt.

I think most cancer survivors need a little PTSD therapy as I think most suffer from it. And, who wouldn't? You go through the wringer and then are left alone.

Your symptom is not a symptom of mets. The truth is, a lot of us don't have symptoms when we are diagnosed. It's found incidentially (as mine was). I have symptoms now but that is two years of a tumor growing in my liver to feel it. Common symptoms would be extra fatigue or weight loss. Cancer has to take up a lot of your lungs to cause coughs and shortness of breath so it is usually not going to have the kind of symptom you describe.

However, if it is coming back, it will make itself known. My liver mets were found, even though I had zero symptoms, no tumor markers or anything. Most people have the same experience. And, remember, finding mets is not like finding early stage cancer. The quicker you find it, does not mean you will live longer. At that point, it responds to tx or not.

Please try to enjoy this time you have. Please tell yourself every day that you are a Survivor, that you made it, that you will live a long life. Tell yourself that every morning and tell yourself that every night and tell yourself that with each sigh. Enjoy these beautiful days you have. Don't let fear imprison you. If you find that it is, get some help - there is no shame in that. The reality is cancer can come back - the reality is also that the odds are in your favor that it won't. So try to mentally put yourself there. Even if it did come back, you would never regret doing that.

*hugs*

08/17/09 Dx'd.
Multifocal/multicentric IDC, largest 3.4 cm, associated ADH, LCIS, DCIS
HER2+ ER+/PR- Grade 3, Node Negative

10/20/2009: Right mastectomy, reconstruction with TE
12/02/2009: Six rounds TCH, switched to Taxol halfway through due to neuropathy
03/31/2010: Finished chemo
05/01/2010: Began tamoxifen, the worst drug ever
11/18/2010: Reconstruction completed
12/02/2010: Finished herceptin
05/21/2011: Liver Mets. Quit Tamoxifen
06/22/2011: Navelbine/Zometa/Herceptin
10/03/2011: Liver Resection, left lobe. Microwave ablation, right lobe - going for cure!
11/26/2011: C-Diff Superbug Infection, "worst case doctor had seen in 20 years"
03/28/2012: Progression in ablated section of the liver - no more cure. Started Abraxane, continue herceptin/zometa
10/10/2012: Progression continues, started Halaven, along with herceptin and zometa.
01/15/2013: Progression continues, started Gemzar and Perjeta, an unusual combo, continuing with herceptin and zometa
03/13/2013: Quit Gemzar, body just won't handle it. Staying on herceptin, zometa and perjeta.
04/03/2013: CT shows 50% regression in tumor, so am starting back on Gemzar with dose reduction, staying with perjeta/herceptin/zometa. Can't argue with success!
05/09/2013: Discussing SBRT with Radiology due to inability of bone marrow to recover from chemo.
06/07/2013: Fiducial placement for SBRT
07/03/2013: Chemo discontinued, on Perjeta, Herceptin and Zometa alone
07/25/2013: SBRT (gamma knife) begins
08/01/2013: SBRT completed
08/15/2013: STABLE! continuing with Perjeta, Herceptin, Zometa
06/18/2014: ***** NED!!!!***** continuing with Perjeta, Herceptin, Zometa
01/29/2014: Still NED. continuing with Perjeta, Herceptin. Zometa lowered to every 3 months instead of monthly.
11/08/2015: Progression throughout abdomen and lungs. Started TDM-1, aka Kadcyla. Other meds discontinued. Remission was nice while it lasted.

5/27/18: Stable. Kadcyla put me right back in the barn. I have two teeny spots on my lungs that are metabolically inactive, and liver is clean.

I’m beating this MFer. I was 51 when this started and had two kids, 22 and 12. Now I’m 60. My oldest got married and trying to start s family. My youngesg graduates from Caltech this June. My stepdaughter gave me grandkids. Life is fantastic.
CoolBreeze is offline   Reply With Quote