View Single Post
Old 02-22-2012, 10:33 AM   #5
Kmswilson

Re: Questions on how you feel on Lapatinib and Xeloda

Hi Vicky,
I hate hearing that insurance won't cover the cost of medications we may need! I am extremely fortunate in that I just found out that my copay for the Tykerb and Xeloda is $0!!!! It's being delivered right to my house, and insurance is covering everything. I'm so relieved. I do know that when I first learned I'd be taking this, I started looking into payments, etc. I saw that there are financial aid programs for these drugs through so,e organizations, and maybe even through the pharmaceutical companies, so you may try checking into that! I've heard good things about Halaven, too, though, and I figured it might be one we try if the Tykerb and Xeloda doesn't do the trick!

As far as the WBR, we ended up going that route as the best option since I have nine lesions that are spread out all over my brain. Of course, they couldn't centrally locate for me! I just had my 13th and final one today. I'll be honest, I've found it to be kind of tough, and I think I prefer chemo! It's probably the combo of the steroids and the rads that are the worst. I'm not sleeping much at night, so I'm exhausted, but because of the steroids, I'm jittery and can't sleep. The steroids also make me starve...like crazy starve a couple of hours after taking them. I have gained 8 lbs. In two weeks. It's crazy. And that has made my bowels tricky and my stomach hurt. In addition, I just feel a little scattered and fuzzy (kindof like the chemo fog), and I am just so tired for a few hours after the radiation treatment, that it's all I can do to stay awake. Plus, since I've been off chemo for 5-1/2 weeks and can't start back for two more weeks, I'm terrified that the cancer in my liver and bones is running rampant, progressing, maybe spreading. It's terrifying!

That being said, I don't want to scare you about WBR. It's definitely not worse than chemo, just different. I really think it's the steroids and lack of sleep making it worse on me, because the few days I've gotten a good night's sleep, I'm a different person after rads. And, the good thing is, the 13 treatments went very quickly, now it's over, and hopefully, it did its job and killed the existing lesions and will protect against anything else that may have been brewing. I'll have my follow-up MRI on march 21, so praying it's all clear! I won't say WBR has been fun, but it's doable, just be prepared to be tired in a cumulative way and try to get naps if you can! I found timing the steroids helps. I try to take the evening one around 6:00 pm, and then wait to take a sleeping pill around 10:00 or 11:00 to try to get some run out of it late at night!

Anyway, I know I'm rambling! After all, I did get the last noggin scramble this morning! I'm wishing you much luck and blessings! Keep me posted on what you end up doing for the brain met. I hate that we have to deal with this, but I'm so grateful to have people on here who have been here and can relate! Take care! :-)
12/27/10 - IDC, rt breast (approx. 15 cm), lymph nodes, age 36. 1/7/11 - stage 4 IDC, extensive liver mets, Bone mets (spine, sacrum, rib, sternum, upper arm), ER-/PR-, HER2+++; 1/12/11 - port, 1/17/11- startweekly Taxol/Herceptin, monthly Zometa
3/8/11- decrease in all tumors, bones healing. 3/11- 3 wks on/1 off Taxol/Herceptin, +Zometa
6/6/11 - decrease in all tumors, healing bones, 2-4 new liver lesions. 3 wks on/1 wk off Taxol/Carbo/Herceptin, +Zometa
7/29/11 - liver progression, others stable; 8/11-drop taxol/carbo, start Navelbine
12/11 - liver progression; begin AC, drop Herceptin;
1/12 - liver enzymes normal, 2/6 results show regression in liver, stable others, but 9 tiny brain mets (largest 7 mm). Begin 13 WBRs 2/6; 2/29-start Tykerb, 3/7, start Xeloda
5/2012- liver progression and regression, liver biopsy confirms HER2+++. drop Xeloda, start Herceptin, Tykerb, Zometa.
5/2012- brain MRI shows all lesions gone except 1, 2mm shrinking!
Kmswilson is offline   Reply With Quote