Thread: MUGA vs. echo
View Single Post
Old 03-24-2007, 05:50 PM   #1
concerned

MUGA vs. echo

I am new to this and have a question. My mom's oncologist is insisting that a echocardiogram is preferable for monitoring her heart function while on herceptin. Everything I read says MUGA or echo. However, here and on other boards, everyone seems to have MUGAs. Are they more precise? Why wouldn't he want a MUGA? and will they catch any problems as quickly with an echo? My parents mentioned this way she wouldn't need radioactive materials in her...but I read it is trace amounts?

She received a herceptin treatment(started in Dec) on Wed and wound up in the hospital after it was completed...shortness of breath and pain. They ruled out a heart attack and a blood clot in her lungs with CAT Scans, x rays, blood work and stress tests. She is also currently receiving radiation. I get the uneasy feeling that it was the herceptin and we may not be so lucky next time. She goes to the oncologist again on Mon and I'm not ready to let the MUGA scan vs echo rest yet, however, I don't have anything concrete.

Any info would be appreciated. Thanks.
concerned is offline   Reply With Quote