View Single Post
Old 06-29-2011, 05:32 AM   #7
Becky

Re: greed and desperation a match made in heaven

Well, I have been taking standardized olive leaf for 6+ years. I will have to look at the bottle for the strength. I don't take 3/4 capsules anymore, just one or two a day. I started taking them as well as standardized maitake for one reason - some research indicated they improved the effectiveness of Herceptin.

As many of you know, and many of you don't - I received late Herceptin, after chemo and radiation was complete. I wanted as much bang for the buck for that year of Herceptin taken alone. Maitake has beta glucans and beta glucans have been shown to (re) activate PTEN, a down stream modulator that has to be activate for Herceptin to work at its best. Extra virgin olive oil contains oleuropein but the standardized capsules have more. I use EVOO all the time but in those days, I also took 2 tablespoons a day off the spoon! Oleic and oleuropein prevents resistance (supposedly) and I wanted to do everything I could (especially since Herceptin tends to work better with chemo and I was taking it without chemo).

Old habits die hard so I take one or two olive leaf and 2 maitake (600mg) per day. In the Herceptin days and perhaps the year after, I was taking 3/4 olive leaf and 9 maitake all the while using EVOO as my oil in cooking etc.

You never know?

Becky

Found lump via BSE
Diagnosed 8/04 at age 45
1.9cm tumor, ER+PR-, Her2 3+(rt side)
2 micromets to sentinel node
Stage 2A
left 3mm DCIS - low grade ER+PR+Her2 neg
lumpectomies 9/7/04
4DD AC followed by 4 DD taxol
Used Leukine instead of Neulasta
35 rads on right side only
4/05 started Tamoxifen
Started Herceptin 4 months after last Taxol due to
trial results and 2005 ASCO meeting & recommendations
Oophorectomy 8/05
Started Arimidex 9/05
Finished Herceptin (16 months) 9/06
Arimidex Only
Prolia every 6 months for osteopenia

NED 18 years!

Said Christopher Robin to Pooh: "You must remember this: You're braver than you believe and stronger than you seem and smarter than you think"
Becky is offline   Reply With Quote