View Single Post
Old 06-19-2011, 04:58 PM   #13
Blondie

Re: How to start over...

Hi Ginny,

I am at the similar stage of treatment as you, I finish Herceptin in October. I can relate to many of the issues you have discussed.

I returned to work full time when I completed chemo in February. Some days I feel fine and other days everything hits me all at once- diagnosis, treatment, and anxieties re the future. Throughout chemo I was too busy with appointments, managing side effects and feeling awful that I don't think it really hit me until past few months. Also, initially after diagnosis peoples flight / fight response kicks in.

I suppose I feel very tired of it all! Ongoing side effects- fatigue and chemobrain- particulary when at work. I don't have the energy outside of work to find the work / life balance some days.

Also, my priorities and goals have changed. Quite often the goals of those around you don't though. This is what I find the most challenging....I think at times it is a way of coping- your loved ones go into a denial. They don't think that the cancer will ever come back- so they carry on as usual and you feel so different. Feel like I'm on another planet some days. I'm reassessing my hopes and dreams.....

So I take one day at a time at the moment- live in the moment. Try and do the things I enjoy each day- gain enjoyment from the very simple but most important things in life! If I do have a "bad day" I try and think tomorrow is another day and all will be well.

I agree with all the other ladies. Your Dr should be inspiring hope- not fear and anxiety!

All the best
Blondie
1/11 nodes +
Lumptectomy, radiotherapy
CMF chemo and 6 yrs Tamoxifen
Retesting in 2010 revealed tumor to be HER2+++

Microcalifications on mammogram
12 biospies- all clear
MRI-all clear

July 2010
Elected mastectomy right side,
10cm IDCS