View Single Post
Old 05-22-2014, 06:11 PM   #11
'lizbeth

Re: Just Starting Our Fight, Help.

FO,

I confess - I didn't take all the steroids - and never missed them. I am allergic to benadryl, but claritin does the trick.

I lost weight during treatment as the diarrhea was my worst symptom. The other 2 side effects that I hated were the hair loss and the peripheral neuropathy. I iced my hands but still do not have the same sensitivity as before chemo. My hair is thin when it used to be thick, big sigh. Chemo is not for sissies!

The Her2 numbers are much more favorable then you would think. I believe the 5 year survival rate is 95-98% at your wife's stage of diagnosis. It is not the Her2 that is the biggest threat, but the BRCA2. I say not to worry unnecessarily, but to be very vigilant and cautious. I think due to your wife concern about her family history she was making prudent decisions. I too was caught a little off-guard being diagnosed in my early 40s. Who expects to have breast cancer at such a young age?

Like many of us - the lucky majority - your wife's cancer might be just a bump in the road of life.

Last edited by 'lizbeth; 05-22-2014 at 06:12 PM.. Reason: typo
'lizbeth is offline   Reply With Quote