View Single Post
Old 11-03-2007, 03:51 AM   #20
Lien

Dear Suzanne,
I haven't had time to read the whole thread, but would like to mention a couple of things.

I was triple positive as well, had children aged 3 & 8 when I was diagnosed and researched tx at the time. There's still a lot of research being done.

Her2. You will probably get Herceptin
Chemo: There's a lot of new research being published on which chemo regimens are best for which type of cancer.
Hysterectomy: I'm surprised this has been suggested. Usually an oophorectomy is suggested, because it's your ovaries that produce estrogen, not the uterus. There has been research done in Austria on the matter of shutting down the ovaries. It showed that oophorectomy isn't very effective in premenopausal, Her2 positive women over 40. It does give you the possibility to take an aromatase inhibitor like Arimidex, which seems to be more effective in Her2 disease.

I would urge you to get a second opinion from a large breast centre. I have no idea where you live, (and I'm from Europe myself) but I've been told that Dana Farber and Johns Hopkins are good. Undoubtedly there are many others that are good.

Just my two cents.

Oh, and I'm 4 years out and doing fine. Many of us are. Don't despair. Every year new therapies are developed to help combat this horrible disease.

I'm even having a big row with my 12 year old at the moment. 4 years ago all I could think was: nothing matters, all I want is to spend time with him & his brother. Life has gone back to a new normal.

Love

Jacqueline
Diagnosed age 44, January 2004, 0.7 cm IDC & DCIS. Stage 1, grade 3, ER/PR pos. HER2 pos. clear margins, no nodes. SNB. 35 rads. On Zoladex and Armidex since Dec. 2004. Stopped Zoladex/Arimidex sept 2009 Still taking mistletoe shots (CAM therapy) Doing fine.
Lien is offline   Reply With Quote