View Single Post
Old 07-12-2010, 09:29 AM   #18
DiDi70

Re: last Herceptin treatment

Hi Renee,

I hope that you're having a good day. So, if I understand you correctly, you have not had any surgery, yet you have developed lymphedema? Any idea of how this occurred? Did you get an insect bite or infection somehow that caused this?

Here's what I have been told about lymphedema:
From my surgeon (who is very well read and keeps up to date on research worldwide): Exercise, do whatever you like to do, there's no limit on what you can lift, pull or push. Protect your arms and hands with sunscreen, bug spray and wear gloves when gardening or doing any kind of work where you could injure your hands.

From the Dragon Boat Team members in London Ontario (who just won the Canadian Dragon Boat Championships and is made up of women who have finished therapy or are undergoing cancer treatment): The members tend to not get lymphedema and they work out 5 days per week either in the gym or in the boat. The team is made up of women of all ages, from teens to 70 years old. What I have been told is that some were told to not overdo exercising their affected arm, some were told (a few years ago by their doctors) to not lift anything heavier than 5 pounds, some were told not to push or pull more than 5 pounds; yet here they are (not doing what they were advised to do) with such a great fitness level and in large part not affected by lymphedema. Their team is called "Row Bust" and you can check them out online as they are inspiring.

From my Registered Massage Therapist: She wouldn't treat me while undergoing chemotherapy, but now has taught me lymphatic drainage techniques, should I need them. The technique is simple and can be done by oneself. Elevating the arm is very important to help to drain it.

From my Family Doctor: Referral to Physiotherapy for exercises for prevention.

That's the extent of what I know of lymphedema, other than some people get fitted for an elastic 'stocking' to wear on the affected arm.

Oh, I do know one person who had lymphedema, but it was a few years after lymph node removal. She wore the stocking, did exercises and had lymphatic drainage and she recovered after 4 months. That's the good news.

I don't know if this helps in anyway, but I thought I would share what I know.

Take care,
DiDi
DiDi70 is offline   Reply With Quote