View Single Post
Old 10-02-2014, 01:45 PM   #1
eva9310

Pulling the plug on chemo - Neuropathy - Thoughts

Yesterday my MO decided it's time to pull the plug on chemo. The Taxol neuopathy is manifesting in the itching of my feet, hands knees and elbows. It's miserable. I have also had non stop diarrhea for 7 weeks. I've received all 4 of the A/C treatments 3 out of the 4 herceptin/perjeta combos with taxol and of the 12 weeks of taxol if I quit now I will be skipping the last 5 Taxol treatments and 1 Herceptin / Perjeta.

I think I can push through another two treatments to get to 9, I think she said that there is statistical data that shows there is greater benefit to getting to 9. That's two more, I think I can make it. Ultimately I would like to get to 10 and get the last Herceptin/ Perjeta combo.

Here is my question, if I push through and take two more taxol treatments, can I get the H & P on the 10th cycle without the taxol?

She's worried about permanent neuropathy damage and that it won't be reversible. I get that, the thing is I don't have horrible numbness & tingling. Mine is the rash and itching but she said that is a manifestation of the neuropathy. I could live with the numbness I have now forever but not the itching. Nothing makes it better and there is nothing left to prescribe me.

I told her I would push through and she said she would leave me on the schedule. Then last night I got an email from MD Anderson that my schedule changed. She left me on the schedule but moved my times to 2:30 PM. I'm guessing she's not thinking I'm going to continue.

Any thoughts? I don't know what the statistical data shows between 6 & 9 treatments but if any of you who are medical journal experts I would love to hear what you think.

Age 41: IDC Stage 2B - Left Breast Only
Two tumors 4.5 CM & 2 CM, 2 Nodes Positive
ER/PR Negative, Her2 Positive, Ki-67-80%
DX - Early May 2014, MD Anderson
A/C X4 Chemo Started May 28, 2014 - Done!
Ultrasound after A/C shows small tumor gone, Nodes Clear!
Taxol x 12 Weeks - Halfway Done!
Herceptin & Perjeta X 4 With Taxol - Halfway Done!
Herceptin X 9 months every 3 weeks after surgery
Double Mastectomy w/ Tissue Exp 11/15/14
Will wait for pathology report to determine rads! Hopefully not!
eva9310 is offline   Reply With Quote