View Single Post
Old 06-29-2011, 08:31 PM   #5
Laurel

Re: Hope for those with AI-associated musculoskeletal complaints

Rhonda,

I upped my Vit D to 4000-5000 IUs daily along with Strontium, Calcium, Magnesium, and Boron. I really only have stiff feet and ankles in the morning when I "Frankenstein Walk" to the bathroom first thing upon waking. Surprisingly to me, recently I was chatting with a few other ladies our age who are NOT breast cancer survivors. They all complained of the stiff feet and ankles in the morning just like me! I had chalked this up to my A.I., Femara, but in fact it may be due to aging or menopause! Wow, I'm NORMAL! Hot damn! Oh to be NORMAL and creeky and stiff in the morning! LOL!

In light of this, I have to say that I really have zero A.I. associated pain. I have had pain in my hands, but had been vigorously weeding my flower beds or some such activity as I reflect back upon it as I do not have continuous pain in my hands. My non-breast cancer friends experience the same symptoms as me under these circumstances. It is NOT the Femara. Yeah!

Here's the kicker. I have been taking minimally 2500 IUs of Vit D3 since my diagnosis. At dx I had a blood level of 23 for Vit D. Now I am around 50. It took me years to get that high. I found I had to increase my intake to 4000 IUs or so to achieve that result.

Just this week I began jogging, because as you know I am now a porker. Some of my weight gain may be due to menopause and my A.I., but it is mostly due to my love affair with all things tasty! Hence the need to exercise more. I take several "oils" to decrease inflammation, olive, fish, avocado, and coconut. I should be in serious pain, but I am only mildly sore. Amazing!

I think some of our aches and pains are due to aging. I suspect cancer treatment ages us a bit more rapidly than we otherwise would have, but still some of our complains would arise had we not acquired the "blessing" of cancer. Vit D seems to help our bones and comfort levels. We'll see how it assists against osteoporosis when I have my next bone scan. I had to discontinue my bisphosphonate due to GI problems relying now only upon my supplements. I'll let you know how I am faring. If my dexa is good then I will be singing the Monkeys' "I'm a Believer (believa if you are a Brit like Davy).

Yes, I have just totally dated myself.....

Smile On!
Laurel

Dx'd w/multifocal DCIS/IDS 3/08
7mm invasive component
Partial mast. 5/08
Stage 1b, ER 80%, PR 90%, HER-2 6.9 on FISH
0/5 nodes
4 AC, 4 TH finished 9/08
Herceptin every 3 weeks. Finished 7/09
Tamoxifen 10/08. Switched to Femara 8/09
Bilat SPM w/reconstruction 10/08
Clinical Trial w/Clondronate 12/08
Stopped Clondronate--too hard on my gizzard!
Switched back to Tamoxifen due to tendon pain from Femara

15 Years NED
I think I just might hang around awhile....

Laurel is offline   Reply With Quote