View Single Post
Old 08-11-2012, 12:29 PM   #16
Lani

Re: Gammaknife Managed....check!

For those who may need SRS (gamma knife or cyberknife) someday and are confused by the referral to the helmet being screwed in, the gamma knife as I understand it requires a "helmet" be screwed into the skull through the scalp to hold the position of the target (patient) while aiming the treatment (pinpoint radiation)
(just for the length of the procedure)-- whereas the cyberknife does not. The cyberknife was developed by Dr. John Adler a neurosurgeon at Stanford with the help of NASA for delivery of radiation with pinpoint accuracy without the use of any invasive device to hold the skull(and brain) still.

From my prior research, which option is available to any one person has to do with whether they live near a cyberknife, what size the lesion(s) are and the experience of the person delivering the treatment. Even large lesions can I understand be treated with the cyberknife if more than one session is undertaken.

I think I have posted before on the difference between gamma knife and cyberknife

Has anyone here had both so they can compare their experiences with both types of treatment and give some feedback?
Lani is offline   Reply With Quote