View Single Post
Old 12-27-2012, 12:22 PM   #19
Joan M

Re: Starting WBR for brain metz

I'm sorry that you had to go through that, especially when you asked for a brain MRI, but thank goodness the radiation oncologist was on top of it.

I too asked for an annual brain MRI after the bc spread to my lung in 2007. My excuse: the probability of getting a brain met when you're diagnosed with HER2+ bc is approx. 35%. The first scan didn't show anything, but the second one 16 months later revealed a 2.6 cm tumor in the left front lobe. I also had no symptoms.

I had a craniotomy because the radiation oncologist felt the tumor was too deep for just one shot of Cyberknife. After the surgery, I had 5 targeted shots of radiation to the tumor bed. I've had nothing in the brain since the surgery in October 2008.

It seems like we have a similar story, except I had only one tumor in the lung, rather than the liver. I decided to try local treatments to get rid of it. First a lung wedge resection (surgery) in 2007 and then when it recurred in the same area in 2008, I then had RFA in August 2008.

I now get CT scans of the chest, abdomen, and pelvis. In general, PET scans only light up when a nodule is about 1 cm (10 mm). So, if something is smaller than that on CT, it's good to check it out again in a few months.

I'm praying that all will be well after your treatment.

Joan
Diagnosed stage 2b in July 2003 (2.3 cm, HER2+, ER-/PR-, 7+ nodes). Treated with mastectomy (with immediate DIEP flap reconstruction), AC + T/Herceptin (off label). Cancer advanced to lung in Jan. 2007 (1 cm nodule). Started Herceptin every 3 weeks. Lung wedge resection April 2007. Cancer recurred in lung April 2008. RFA of lung in August 2008. 2nd annual brain MRI in Oct. 2008 discovered 2.6 cm cystic tumor in left frontal lobe. Craniotomy Oct. 2008 (ER-/PR-/HER2-) followed by targeted radiation (IMRT). Coughing up blood Feb. 2009. Thoractomy July 2009 to cut out fungal ball of common soil fungus (aspergillus) that grew in the RFA cavity (most likely inhaled while gardening). No cancer, only fungus. Removal of tiny melanoma from upper left arm, plus sentinel lymph node biopsy in Feb. 2016. Guardant Health liquid biopsy in Feb. 2016 showed mutations in 4 subtypes of TP53. Repeat of Guardant Health biopsy in Jana. 2021 showed 3 TP53 mutations, BRCA1 mutation and CHEK2 mutation. Invitae genetic testing showed negative for all of these. Living with MBC since 2007. Stopped Herceptin Hylecta (injection) treatment in March 2020. Recent 2021 annual CT of chest, abdomen and pelvis and annual brain MRI showed NED. Praying for NED forever!!
Joan M is offline   Reply With Quote