View Single Post
Old 12-24-2009, 09:47 PM   #6
DianneS

Re: Bilateral mastectomy support group

Thank you, ladies, for your responses. I don't feel quite so alone now!

I can't have reconstruction where tissue is taken from another part of my body, usually the abdomen, because I have a vertical scar from ovarian surgery and surgeons won't make a horizontal cut because of post surgery healing issues, etc. So my options are to stay with the prosthetics or have silicone implants.

I guess I'm interested in what the expanders are like - sounds like not much fun.

I'd also like to know if lumps can be found as easily after implants? Seems they can be felt easier w/o silicone boobs in the way. What do your docs say about that?

Also....the emotional impact of losing both breasts is overwhelming sometimes, like today when I saw a beautiful nightgown that I considered buying until I realized I didn't have anything to fill out the top part anymore. I almost cried. The influence this is having on my sex life is terrible and the doctors don't discuss this! I don't feel sexy in a nightgown with no boobs. My husband says it doesn't bother him (yeah, right) and that's sweet of him, but it bothers me. That is one of the biggest reasons I am considering in a few years the possibility of implants.

Laurel, you said you had breast reconstruction? You aren't talking about implants, right? How did they do the nipples - I mean, what tissue did they use to make them look realistic? I have heard that the nipple tatoos look pretty good, too....but I don't know.

Anyway thanks for the input and I hope you have a healthy 2010 and a relaxing Christmas season.

Dianne
8/9 Richardson/Bloom test
ER+ weakly positive
Alred Score: 4 (suggesting I would strongly benefit from hormone therapy)
PR-,
HER2 positive +++
No vascular invasion
No lymph nodes involved
Surgery: Sept. 9, 2008 -Modified radical mastectomy, right breast. I chose to have a simple mastectomy on the left. Began Taxotere/Carboplatin/Herceptin November, 2008. Finished T/C March 2009. Finished #16 Herceptin Sept. 09. AI's and Tamoxifen made me sick. Began natural Tamoxifen which is Quercetin, I3C and a combo of other supplements. I am also a DES Daughter. There is now a link between DES exposure in utero and breast cancer!
DianneS is offline   Reply With Quote