View Single Post
Old 09-30-2011, 08:18 AM   #3
Debbie L.

Re: rewrite breast cancer awareness message the way YOU want it to read

Hi Nora,

Great idea, it will take me awhile to put my thoughts together, but I'll get back to you. Not that I think that anyone will pay any attention -- this pink October machine has gathered WAY too much momentum. But it will be interesting to talk about how we think about "prevention" and "awareness".

I do have a question about your statement (from your doctor) that HER2+ breast cancer "lines the ducts". I'd never heard that before and am curious about the source for that information. Could you ask your doctor to provide us some references?

I've only heard that kind of information about lobular breast cancer (which is rarely HER2+). Lobular cancer does tend to form sheets of cancer rather than lumps of it, as I understand it. The other kind of "lining the ducts" statement might come from the way widespread DCIS can behave -- it can apparently be widely disseminated thruout a ductal tree without having become invasive, which is one reason why women with DCIS end up with mastectomies -- they can't get clear margins. But I had not heard that kind of DCIS behavior is specific to HER2+ DCIS.

As for how long it's there before being detectable, I think that is not known. It used to be said that figure was 5-10 years but that would of course vary widely depending upon how fast the cancer grows. I heard Susan Love question that old figure, and she said "I just don't think we know that answer".

Debbie Laxague
Debbie L. is offline   Reply With Quote