View Single Post
Old 01-26-2013, 10:52 AM   #4
NanaJoni

Re: Needed some advice

Oh yes - food and chemo just don't mix well. I remember trying to explain to my husband that bread tasted like drywall - and him asking how did I know what drywall tasted like. Funny now - not so much then. But it really did mess up my sense of taste. I discovered that things that were sweet and cold still tasted like they should and ate lots of sherbert, watermelon and other cold fruits, milk shakes fortified with extra protein powder, etc. I couldn't even stand to smell meat being cooked so tried to eat veggies sauted, etc. Luckily, it all subsides fairly quickly and only a few weeks after finishing chemo, things gradually started to taste better. As for Herceptin, it really has very few side effects for most people: some problems with finger and toe nails, a really runny nose, mild fatigue or flu-like symptoms for the first few days after treatment. But nothing like the other chemos. I took a Zyrtec generic every day during Herceptin and it helped a little with the nose drips and extra-strength Tylenol for the aches. Tried to manage rest and mild exercise. As for the bone pain, I took Neulasta shots and only had some bone pain for a few days each time. Mostly manageable with Tylenol but did have Tramadol for the worse pain. Hope this helps and so glad your Mom is done with the tough part. Give her regards and congratulations.
3/24/10:sent.node biopsy clear
3/31/10:bi-lateral mx.;atypical ductal hyperplasia-lft side
4/21/10:wound revision-infection/scarring 4/28/10:seromas both sides
5/21/10:port installed,TCH chemo (6 x 3 wks); Herc,-1yr; 33 rad tx after chemo
07/2010: port not working-2nd port didnt'work;3rd port opposite side.
07/2010: 2 weeks after 3rd port surgery, threw 3 pulm. emboli-IVC filter installed; warfarin
08/2010: hospitalizations w/3 of chemos; decision to stop after 4th-on to radiation in Oct 2010;Herc cont.
12/03/2010 - finished 33 rads Hooray!! cont. Herc. every 3 wks
4/2011 - pneumonia ??? Nope-radiation pneumonitis. No more Herc.
5/2011 - NED!!! port out.
8/2011 - clean PET & CT scans.Still NED
7/2012 - Still NED/very blessed.
2/2013 - 6 mos checkup-all clear. CA2729 down frm 13 to 11.
NanaJoni is offline   Reply With Quote