View Single Post
Old 11-21-2009, 08:50 AM   #9
swimangel72

Re: hip problems evaluated

My right hip has been giving me problems for the past 8 years or so, ever since I fell skiing. It has gotten steadily worse every year - especially after getting chemo. The pain doesn't occur every day - only about twice or three times a month when, for no special reason, perhaps for sitting incorrectly, I'll stand up and my hip "gives out" and I walk with a limp for hours. It's difficult then to even sit down to use the bathroom. And recently , the pain doesn't go away even when I sleep (the way it used to)........it's so bad, I have to ask my DH to lift up my leg to put it into the bed for me. Then suddenly, again for no special reason, on the second day, after many hours, my hip will suddenly be fine! My PCP sent me to an orthopedic who took an x-ray, then an MRI and said I have "mild arthritis in both hips" (so why doesn't my left hip give-out) and also some inflammation and a tiny bit of fluid in the right hip. He ordered a shot of cortisone for the right hip which I had done 2 weeks ago. A week after the shot, my right hip went out on me again - but it didn't last as long. I'm waiting to see if the cortisone "cured" this problem - the radiologist said in 50% of the cases it doesn't help because the problem could be more with "structural problems", whatever that means. I do have some spinal stenosis in the lumbar region of my back - and one small herniated disc, but never have back pain at all (no doubt thanks to years of swimming). The orthopedic doctor said my back issues had nothing to do with my hip problem - he also said physical therapy wouldn't help, only the cortisone shot. He also said I wouldn't need hip replacement since there is very little damage. Time will tell if he's right!

Alice I hope you're feeling OK - will you be getting cortisone shots in both hips then? And I hear you about the firehouse closing issue and your children in college - keep on fighting! Gosh as if you don't have enough to worry about - but both my girls are a 6 hour drive away at college and I spend hours online with them. When my kids are safe and happy, I'm happy no matter how my body feels!

Have a lovely weekend everyone!
IDC Stage 1, Grade 1
ER+ 90% /PR+ 90% /Her2++++, BRAC1 & 2 neg
3/5/08 - mast with muscle-sparing free tram;
0/7 nodes clear; Stage 1 lymphedema in right arm
3/11/08 - MRSA infection in abdomen causes large hernia
4/11/08 - Oncotype DX score 22 (intermediate)
4/12/08 - Muga score 67%
4/23/08 - Chemo, Navelbine and Herceptin every 2 weeks
8/20/08 - Last Navelbine infusion! Yay!
1/22/09 - First mammo since dx - unaffected breast CLEAR!
1/30/09 - Second Muga score 63%
swimangel72 is offline   Reply With Quote