Thread: Its Back
View Single Post
Old 10-05-2015, 10:43 PM   #20
ariana

Re: Its Back

Carol Ann, A friend of mine Brenda Ann, was talking about this on facebook.

I didn't realize that she was talking about the UK and Europe.

Breast Cancer Now with Toni Clayton and Linda Johnson
September 4 · Edited · You may have seen in the news that NHS England has announced its latest review of which drugs will and will not be made available through the Cancer Drugs Fund. We are bitterly disappointed to learn that Kadcyla and Avastin will, from November, no longer be made available through the fund on the basis of cost. This leaves just three drugs specially targeting secondary breast cancer left on the fund.

While nobody currently receiving a drug through the fund will lose their treatment, no new applications for Kadcyla or Avastin, or any of the drugs removed from the fund, will be accepted. As with in Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland, women in England may in some cases still be able to get access to these drugs via individual funding requests by their healthcare team, but this is done on a case by case basis.

Baroness Delyth Morgan, Chief Executive at Breast Cancer Now, said:

“This is a dreadful day for breast cancer patients. Kadcyla is a one-of-a-kind drug proven to extend life, and the fact is that, because government, the NHS and the pharmaceutical industry have failed to agree realistic prices for new drugs, some women will die sooner.

“Despite many families relying on it, the CDF has unfortunately failed, and today’s delisting will further reduce the NHS’ ability to keep pace with Europe in the treatment of breast cancer.

“It’s time that the Government showed leadership on this issue and held the pharmaceutical industry to account. We need a sustainable structure fit for the 21st Century, and we hope that the upcoming CDF consultation will finally make this a reality.”

I hope its still an option here in the U.S. and health insurance will still cover it.
ariana is offline   Reply With Quote