View Single Post
Old 12-27-2009, 06:44 PM   #14
DianneS

Re: Bilateral mastectomy support group

Hi Stephanie,

My sister in law's sister had implants done 8 years after her mastectomy, but she was in her early 40's. I guess I feel a bit of a crunch because I am 56. Surgery is hard on the old bod. I don't want to incur more pain and am leaning towards doing nothing at this point. I have heard horror stories, too, of implants gone wrong, even by experienced surgeons. I guess some implants can slip sideways or the body just rejects them.

No, I cannot have TRAM surgery because I have a vertical scar from belly button on down from ovarian surgery. A TRAM would require taking tissue from the belly area, requiring a transverse incision and surgeons don't like to make 'x' type incisions over an existing scar because healing can be a big issue. As well, a TRAM does sound horribly painful. I guess I am not that vain that it's worth the pain.

My sex life has taken a nose dive as well....because I'm not comfortable with this body and miss my nipples, too. My hubby says it doesn't bother him, but what he says and what he is really thinking are two different things. I know he misses them. One thing doctors don't discuss is sexual intimacy after this type of thing. We have been married 17 years now, and I have to be honest - I DO feel like less of a woman. Certainly, breasts don't define me, but they were a big part of being and feeling like a woman. I still have sensation on my chest but scars aren't sexy to me! The thing is, even with implants the scars will still be there. Possibly even a few more to insert the implants.

Thanks for your input. I really appreciate it. I'm still working through all of this, having only been dx in Aug 08.

Dianne
8/9 Richardson/Bloom test
ER+ weakly positive
Alred Score: 4 (suggesting I would strongly benefit from hormone therapy)
PR-,
HER2 positive +++
No vascular invasion
No lymph nodes involved
Surgery: Sept. 9, 2008 -Modified radical mastectomy, right breast. I chose to have a simple mastectomy on the left. Began Taxotere/Carboplatin/Herceptin November, 2008. Finished T/C March 2009. Finished #16 Herceptin Sept. 09. AI's and Tamoxifen made me sick. Began natural Tamoxifen which is Quercetin, I3C and a combo of other supplements. I am also a DES Daughter. There is now a link between DES exposure in utero and breast cancer!
DianneS is offline   Reply With Quote