View Single Post
Old 12-25-2009, 10:52 AM   #7
freyja

Re: Bilateral mastectomy support group

I had the bilateral (same reasons) and I don't wear prosthesis and will not have reconstruction. I love going braless! Of course, I'm a dancer, and I live in Eugene, Oregon...a very liberal town, so it's quite acceptable for me to be flat. Most people don't even notice unless they know me or I say something about it. My C/D cups weren't very comfortable for dancing anyway. I did try wearing prosthetics for a little while when I went to my job. They were uncomfortable and embarrassing when they'd get out of position. I just used lightweight foam ones instead of silicone and I liked that. I also got a bra that was cotton lined, not synthetic. That helped too. I've seen swimming prosthetics that have a curved inner surface so there's water or air flow and they're lighter.
I just personally feel that for me reconstruction is too much pain and suffering for not enough reward. It's complicated, and I like to keep things as simple as possible in this complicated life. True, there are some types of clothes I can't wear, but there are a lot that look great, too. I'm proud of what I've accomplished facing this disease, and therefor am proud of my scars, too. I'm still a sexual being and sexyness isn't about what you've got or not got, it's about how you use what you have! Let your spirit shine and those who are paying attention to what really matters will see how beautiful you are.
Best wishes to you, Celeste

"Dancers Against Cancer" in the Eugene, OR Komen Race for the Cure 2010
Diagnosed 8/7/08 with stage 3 invasive ductal carcinoma, micropapillary pattern, Her2 3+, ER+,PR-, grade II, positive lymph nodes.
Received 6doses of Taxotere, Carboplatin with Herceptin continuing for a year...DONE.
1/28/09 Left Modified Radical Mastectomy, Right Simple Mastectomy.
Surgery pathology: No invasive carcinoma present and 17 lymph nodes removed all negative! Only small amount of carcinoma in situ in left breast.
March/April '09, Radiation to left chest wall.
Currently involved in Neratinib clinical trial.

"Well being I won
and wisdom too,
I grew and joyed in my growth;
from a word to a word
I was led to a word
from a deed to another deed." (Odin)

freyja is offline   Reply With Quote