Thread: Herceptin only
View Single Post
Old 12-07-2011, 08:57 AM   #9
Hopeful

Re: Herceptin only

I am sorry I did not see this thread when it was first posted; I was consumed with running a conference at the time.

I was dx at age 52, postmeno, 1.3 cm, node negative, ER+ 80%, Pr+ 50%, Her2 +++ by IHC in June of 2006. My path report gave my Ki-67 as "11% (borderline)". As this is an indication of the rate of proliferation, which was low, and being post meno and highly hormonally positive, my research indicated that I would receive a very minimal benefit from chemotherapy. My oncologist offered me a year of Herceptin w/o chemo, which I did. I had radiation to the affected breast that started around the time the Herceptin tx did, and went on AI's after rads were completed.

The SE's I noticed from Herceptin were the thinning and splitting fingernails and the drippy nose. While my fingernails returned to normal after my tx was completed, I am sorry to say the drippy nose has not. I never had nausea, diarrhea or any gastro symptoms from the Herceptin; I would notice a weird taste in my mouth during and immediately post infusion that was like the glue you lick on the back of an envelope, but that passed.

The SE's from the AI's, on the otherhand were worse, LOTs of joint pain, wrist pain, terrible vaginal atrophy, and tinnitus. The stiffness and paid would improve for a short time when I switched AI's from Femara to Arimidex, but then return. I switched between the two at least 4 times, and determined, also based on my research, that being Her2+, I would derive less benefit from hormone therapy than those who were Her2-. I stopped AI treatment after exactly 3 years. All of the stiffness symptoms cleared up when I stopped the AI, and have not returned. The vaginal atrophy continues to be a problem, and the tinnitus never resolved.

I hope this is helpful.

Hopeful
Hopeful is offline   Reply With Quote