View Single Post
Old 11-30-2013, 10:51 AM   #23
chekmark

Re: mastectomy versus lumpectomy for HER2

I agree with the others, it's a personal choice however I do want to point out one thing. Due to the location of my tumour I was told I would need recon anyway or that I would be horribly deformed. I didn't have much time and panicked and since my oncologist said mast I went with the mast but my surgeon said I didn't need the mast but would be deformed. Sometimes I wonder if I did the right thing but it's too late now. Recon was not fun, kinda brutal for the first few weeks but doable. I was also 49 when diagnosed. Weigh out the pros and cons. I struggled with self esteem issues, no hair, no breast but that all passed. I had to wait a year for recon and I think that was the worst for me, I just wanted recon and to look normal again. My cancer was never seen on a mammo, even after they found it so I don't trust mammos anyway. She has a lot to think about, there is no wrong decision. Good luck.
DX Sept 30 2010 at the age of 49. Oh crap! 1.5 cm idc, stage 1 grade 3 er/pr+, her2+ no lymph nodes, mastectomy Oct/10. Started 6 rounds of TCH Dec/10 and will continue herceptin until Nov /11 and just started femara.
Stray kitten found my lump while I was playing with it. It is now my pet and my dog is not real happy about that.
Mammo good
last herceptin 11/21/11 YAY
reconstruction 12/09/11
Chapter closed 12/10/11, hopefully, fingers crossed
Bone scan, chest xray, clear
04/27/12 Expander removed, implant put in, ahh sigh of relief, much more comfortable
Sept 30, 2014, 4 years NED
chekmark is offline   Reply With Quote