View Single Post
Old 08-21-2007, 03:40 PM   #3
Mary Jo

Hi Caya,

If I am understanding you correctly, you had a right breast cancer and a right breast mastectomy. Correct? This "suspicious" area is in your left breast? If this is the scenario I see from your post, I was in a typical situation just after my chemo and radiation were finished.

I, too, had a right breast cancer and a right breast mastectomy. When I went in for my mammogram the day after radiation ended of my left breast I had a message on my answering machine from my surgeon when we walked in the door from that appointment (we travel a little more than a hour for my care). My surgeon said that there was a suspicious area of calcification that they wanted to biopsy. OH MY GOSH! I couldn't believe it either. My surgeon and my onc. were very optimistic that is was benign and even if it wasn't it was VERY small so that would be good news. They were saying whatever it was was insitu if nothing else. AND THAT WAS SUPPOSE TO MAKE ME FEEL BETTER! Well, like you, it didn't. I simply couldn't believe it. I mean geez, I was sure the first breast cancer was nothing too AND that wasn't.

So, I went through a stereotactic biopsy of the left breast and I can HAPPILY REPORT it TRULY WAS NOTHING. Just a benign area of calcification. OH MY GOSH - can you FEEL how happy that made me.

Anyway, long story short - 3 weeks later I had a left breast prophylactic mastectomy as I was determined to NEVER go through that mammogram stuff again. Ever! My surgeon did not argue with me as she knew from the get go that is really what I wanted. The greatest news of all was that after the prophylactic mastectomy was done and pathology went through the entire breast.............NO CANCER WAS FOUND. So..............

I won't even begin to tell you to rest easy as I don't think that is humanly possible considering where we've been BUT I can tell you the chances of it being cancer, after all you've been through, probably isn't. They are just being SUPER CAUTIOUS as well they should be BUT MAN, the stress it causes.

So, hang on sweetie..................soon this roller coaster ride will be over. Well, at least this part of it.

Mary Jo
"Be still and know that I am God." Psalm 46:10

Dx. 6/24/05 age 45 Right Breast IDC
ER/PR. Neg., - Her2+++
RB Mast. - 7/28/05 - 4 cm. tumor
Margins clear - 1 microscopic cell 1 sent. node
No Vasucular Invasion
4 DD A/C - 4 DD Taxol & Herceptin
1 full year of Herceptin received every 3 weeks
28 rads
prophylactic Mast. 3/2/06

17 Years NED