The road will go on and get smoother
And after we’ve stopped for a rest,
The path that lies hidden beyond us
Is often the path that is best.
So rest and relax and grow stronger,
Let go and let God share your load
And have faith in a brighter tomorrow-
You’ve just come to a bend in the road.

These are some quotes from the book “A Bend in the Road” by David Jeremiah (who is a cancer survivor) that were meaningful to me:

“No matter how sharp the bend in the road, no matter how disruptive the moment (those unanticipated events, most of which one would usually have chosen to avoid had it been possible), everything that happens to us is for the eternal purposes of God. He is training us through the process. Like any worthy parent, He wants to teach us what we cannot learn any other way.”

“As an old man, looking back on one’s life. it’s one of the things that strikes you most forcibly–that the only thing that’s taught one anything is suffering. Not success, not happiness, not anything like that. The only thing that really teaches one what life’s about–the joy of understanding, the joy of coming in contact with what life really signifies–is suffering, affliction.”
–Malcolm Muggeridge

“God, You have allowed this in my life. I don’t understand it, but I know that it couldn’t have happened to me unless it was filtered through Your loving Hands. So, this thing is from You.”

“The Father is never closer to the vine than when He is pruning it.”

“We all ask ‘why’ questions. They’re a natural part of being human. But we can ask better questions–we can ask ‘what’ questions: ‘What
Lord? What would You have me to do? ‘What are You trying to teach me?’”

“I didn’t sign up for this! I know that I sang, ‘Wherever He leads. I’ll go’, but can’t we at least check the weather report first? How could He lead me into a storm like this one?’
Just cling to the knowledge that you could be in no safer place than a storm of His making. You are safer and more secure in the tempest with Jesus than you could ever be in the calmest place without Him. That calm, you’ll come to realize, is an illusion, and the storm is for a good purpose and a short duration.”

• “You can choose to lift up your eyes to the heavens, pour out your tears, grief and anger and say “God, I have no clue what this is all about or where it is leading, but I resolve to trust You and praise You with all of my heart, unconditionally.
  • He will not abandon His work on you – of which your trial is a part (read Isaiah 49:15-16)
  • There’s no need for me and God to stay up all night. God will be awake anyway so I need to go to bed and get a good sleep. (Psalm 121:3-4)
  • You will be faced with a trial and God will give you 2 gifts: A scripture for your mind and a song for your heart
  • There is nothing, no circumstance, no trouble, no testing that can ever touch me until, first of all, it has come past God, and past Christ, right through to me. If it has come that far, it has come with a great purpose.
  • “God, You have allowed this in my life. I don’t understand it, but I know that it couldn’t have happened to me unless it was filtered through Your loving Hands. So, this thing is from You.”
  • We become preoccupied with our circumstances but God is preoccupied with our character.”

• My crisis is important to God. He is using it to make me a more valuable servant in His kingdom.
  • The only road that leads to the destination God desires for us has sharp bends.
  • Life is difficult, but difficulty is the only path to wisdom. “
----------------------

I will choose not to be fearful of any bad news now or to come. My “today” and my future are all HIS. I will trust my precious Lord to care for me and my family. IN CHRIST I am confident, steadfast, fearless, triumphant. (gleaned from Psalm 112:8)

Psalm 112:8

8 They are confident and fearless
and can face their foes triumphantly.