View Single Post
Old 10-09-2010, 02:40 PM   #16
Barbara H.

Re: Career crossroad

I would take the new job. I was originally diagnosed in 1998, and then diagnosed with mets pretty much through out, including the brain. I still work full time as a 5th grade teacher, and continue to take courses. Even with stage 4 breast cancer, I refuse to give up working. I have taken off less time than others who are healthy, and have always had great support. I can't believe that you are receiving no support. Everyone eventually has ups and downs in life, and I wouldn't want to be living the life of your current colleagues. I sounds like a very unhealthy atmosphere. If you feel the new job is right for you, I would accept it. We also have teachers who have been hired at our school after a cancer diagnosis. They are productive and supported both by their colleagues and the parents.

You have to decide if the job you want to accept is right for you. I did take off time to be with my three children when they were young, but my middle daughter has autism. Nevertheless, i have noticed that the students in my classes whose parents work are very well adjusted and do well in school.

Best of luck with your decision.

Barbara H.
Barbara H. is offline   Reply With Quote