Thread: estrogen creams
View Single Post
Old 09-21-2007, 06:13 PM   #38
Hopeful

VA follow-up appointment with gyn

Yesterday I had my 8 week follow-up with my gyn after starting the Estrace therapy. To say she was delighted with all the results, both the blood work and the tissue health, would be an understatement. She told me to continue to use the ointment as I have been, (a dollop about the size of a pea every three days) that I don't need to increase the usage or amount, and that the Replens (which I have been using for over a year) actually makes the tissue need less of the estrogen cream. She said the difference in the tissue quality before and after was striking, just using this little amount twice a week. She believes that the tissue is soaking up the estrogen, preventing it from being released into the blood stream. She said the tissue was better hydrated, there was appropriate moisture and elasticity is returning. She said no more blood survelliance; I am to have another level check done in Dec. and then see her 3 mo. after that. Since my annual is due in April, I'll just extend that visit by another 3 weeks. At that time, she said we will see if there are any new agents we may want to switch to. She said as long as I am comfortable with using ER, it is ok with her. She said straight estrogen was not as dangerous as combination hormonal therapy.

As a postscript, I got the results of my final blood work today (for some reason, the lab took 9 days instead of the usual 4 to issue a report). The ER levels were up slightly, to 79 pg/ml (130 is the upper end cut off for post meno levels). My gyn indicated to me in our discussion that so long as the levels stayed below the cut off for post-meno, she was ok with it. I guess the levels will bounce around a bit.

I am very positive about the effect this treatment is having on my quality of life, and feel any associated risk is far outweighed by the benefits.

Hopeful
Hopeful is offline   Reply With Quote