Thread: estrogen creams
View Single Post
Old 07-27-2007, 06:25 PM   #29
Becky

Hopeful

I wanted to write this to tell everyone my experience with vaginal atrophy. I was hesitant to do this at first because I know that everyone really takes into consideration the things that I say and do. I am not 100% entirely certain of topical vaginal estrogen preparations but I did do my research - there's just not alot out there.

As many of you know, about 2 years ago I got an oophorectomy for at least 1/2 dozen reasons. A few weeks later, I started Arimidex. After about 2 months, I began experiencing UTIs and vaginal infections (both yeast and bacteria but not concurrently - I would get a bacterial from the ping pong effect of UTI/sex (or trying to)/vaginal). Antibiotics for the vaginal/bladder would cause vaginal yeast infections. I think you get the picture. I wanted to have sex and had no dryness issues but the lining was so thin that it would get damaged regardless of lack of dryness. In February, right before a well planned and alone with my husband only vacation in the Caribbean, I got another bladder infection. When I returned, I had a yeast infection again. My gyne recommended Premarin cream. 1/4 of a tube 2X per week. I started immediately. I contacted my onc (we "talk" on email) and did not hear back from him. I figured, if he said "no way" then I would stop as I only took one application. I felt the effects immediately since my vagina was so thin and damaged. My onc wanted me to use estring instead. He hadn't gotten back to me for 4 days because he was at a QOL conference where the safety of estring was discussed. I switched over. At 6 weeks we tested my estradiol level and it was the same as 6 months prior (I was in such agony I had him test it because I at least wanted to know if it was low). I am much better now. I still get yeast infections (not alot but it is a side effect of topical vaginal estrogen preparations AND I was plagued with them in my late 20's and early 30's) but I have not had a UTI since that February vacation (got a great tan though since Cipro warns to stay out of the sun and would you in that situation?!)

The estring is not perfect but even my gyne says my vagina is healthy now (since my annual pap versus all the times I went there because of infections and atrophy). I do know the risks are small but my gain is great as frequent and recurrent UTIs can cause future bladder cancer. I also had a uterine scan to make sure the estring isn't causing any problems there and all was well.

I probably should have shared this before but I wasn't sure what to really do. Have a great weekend. We are having a HUGE sweet 16 party for my daughter tomorrow night and I just finished making trays of ziti.

Love to all

Becky

Found lump via BSE
Diagnosed 8/04 at age 45
1.9cm tumor, ER+PR-, Her2 3+(rt side)
2 micromets to sentinel node
Stage 2A
left 3mm DCIS - low grade ER+PR+Her2 neg
lumpectomies 9/7/04
4DD AC followed by 4 DD taxol
Used Leukine instead of Neulasta
35 rads on right side only
4/05 started Tamoxifen
Started Herceptin 4 months after last Taxol due to
trial results and 2005 ASCO meeting & recommendations
Oophorectomy 8/05
Started Arimidex 9/05
Finished Herceptin (16 months) 9/06
Arimidex Only
Prolia every 6 months for osteopenia

NED 18 years!

Said Christopher Robin to Pooh: "You must remember this: You're braver than you believe and stronger than you seem and smarter than you think"
Becky is offline   Reply With Quote