Thread: estrogen creams
View Single Post
Old 07-27-2007, 07:08 AM   #23
Hopeful

Debbie L.,

Here is a link to a news release from December, 2005, regarding the discovery by Fox Chase Cancer Center researchers (Philadelphia, PA) who discovered that some bc cells once fueled by estrogen can be killed by the hormone: http://www.brightsurf.com/news/headl...he_hormone.htm

I have read some papers discussing estrogen deprivation and the ability of some ER+ bc cells to adapt to extremely low ER levels via hypersensitivity. The researchers in the above article took some of those cells, re-exposed them to estrogen, and killled them by doing so.

Our hormones fluctuate throughout life; it is not practical to assume that they will not continue to do so in light of intentional manipulation via deprivation. We need additional studies and better monitoring so that our medications can be constantly adjusted, the same way diabetics constantly monitor their sugar levels or those with hypertension constantly monitor their systolic blood pressure for medication adjustment. This is not a static situation.

Back on the main topic, I saw my onc yesterday and told him about my gyn's plan. He rolled his eyes at the weekly blood draws, and told me he thought I would "do just fine." I am anxious to get started on the treatment, while I still have all this Herceptin in my system (which looks like it will still be there, in varying degree, for the next 22-26 weeks). The fact that researchers found that reintroducing estrogen after a prolonged period of estrogen absence was helpful, rather than hurtful, to some bc cells has given me more confidence about the treatment.

BTW, my gyn was also telling me when I went to see her a year ago to treat VA pre-bc to keep having sex, to promote blood flow and keep the tissues from retracting further. I have read some papers on this, and apparently, women who have more active sex lives post-meno have less VA. I am wondering if this is a chicken and egg king of thing - do they have less VA because they have more sex, or do they have more sex because they don't have VA?

Hopeful
Hopeful is offline   Reply With Quote