View Single Post
Old 10-29-2014, 01:32 PM   #3
Lien

Re: 10 years of Tamoxifen?

Weight gain would probably put you at risk for other diseases, and it seems the weight gain was certainly connected to taking Tamoxifen in your case. If the risk reduction is only a couple percent points, I would rather stay slender and be monitored regularly for recurrence. It is a difficult choice, but we do what we can and there are no guarantees that you will remain cancer free while taking Tamoxifen. You will just improve your odds.

I guess the bottom line is: could you live with your decision if you have a recurrence further down the line? Or would you blame yourself and feel miserable about it? Do you need more data on the risks of weight gain to help you make your decision?

I took hormonal therapy even though my doc didn't specifically recommend it at the time (he would now, he said) because my children were aged 3, 8, 12 and 16 at the time. I did not want to leave them behind without a mother. I wanted to accept any and every side effect if that could improve my chances of being there for my kids until they left home. My youngest is 14 now, and I would still do everything to see him through high school. But after that? I am not so sure.

Just my two cents

Jacqueline
Diagnosed age 44, January 2004, 0.7 cm IDC & DCIS. Stage 1, grade 3, ER/PR pos. HER2 pos. clear margins, no nodes. SNB. 35 rads. On Zoladex and Armidex since Dec. 2004. Stopped Zoladex/Arimidex sept 2009 Still taking mistletoe shots (CAM therapy) Doing fine.
Lien is offline   Reply With Quote