View Single Post
Old 08-30-2007, 08:43 PM   #20
Melinda

I used to get my Neulasta shot on a Friday and on Sunday... I was only good for reading the Sunday paper and watching movies... a real couch potato. The good news is that it kept my WBC up to where I could continue treatment the entire time as far as WBC goes. The carboplatin effects your platelets and on round 5 and 6 I had a slight delay... 2 days the first time and 5 days on round 6. There is nothing they can really do for platelets... just let the body build them up again. The first time I thought maybe if I went home and ate half of a cow it would help.... silly me, but the fellas (platelets rejuvemated themselves.) I tell you this because I am the type of person that wanted everything done yesterday... so to find out that there was going to be a delay shocked me and I was beyond annoyed. I didn't know this could h appen. Anyway, everything worked out fine.... becareful when platelets drop "do not run with scizzors".... bleeding and bruising are something one stays away from with this condition.
I made it thruogh to round 3 before my scalp really started to show... and that is when I decided to shave my head. It looked better than having the apperance of walking out of a nuclear power plant plus I felt more in control. Prior to that I wore it like in my picture, then shorter yet and then the GI JANE look. After that it was all over but the razor.
I got a wig from www.paulayoung.com
I dont care what they say... but for 49.95 you could not beat it. I wore it a couple of months before the heat set in and then switched to a varielty of scarves that complimented my wardrobe. FOr the last 6 weeks I have introduced the retirement village where I work to tennis ball hair... call me Wilson for short as one of our eloquent sisters have suggested. Actually I have had fun being free of scarves and wigs, and feel completely comfortable with it. Its the latest rage, and I am 55.
Keep in touch, you can do this. a positive attitude and a little humor helps and lets not forget all the support you have from all the sisters here!
Melinda
Mammosite radiation completed 2/10
Stage1/Grade 1
clear Margins /Nodes Neg
ER+
IHC +2 Fish +
ONCO 23
Started TCH on 3/2 for 6 rounds of TC once every three weels and a year of Herceptin every 3 weeks -
Finished everything and now on Aromasin
Melinda is offline   Reply With Quote