View Single Post
Old 10-16-2007, 09:46 PM   #27
AlaskaAngel

I know the conclusion that was drawn about whether or not catching mets early is based on studies. and I hope my questions about it are not personal.

But even so, the studies can also be based on opinion, depending on how the question is focused.

Again, I have to ask, if you have 2 populations in which treatment makes no difference, (as Barbara wondered too) is it because none of the treatments that are used are of benefit (or are of very little benefit)? If the question is focused only on "does the treatment make any difference if it starts sooner?" then you miss entirely the question "does the treatment itself make any difference?"

I think the topic is very important. We don't have the resources to give everyone who wants or needs extensive and expensive testing and treatment all that we would like to. How can we make the most of what we do have to spread around to make the most difference for the most people?

As I've said before, I tend not to believe that periodic brain MRI's should be routine for Stage I's like me without relevant symptoms. But I don't think that translates to "monitoring with tests to try to detect early mets makes no difference". This discussion started with markers. I believe in periodic regular markers for even those with early stage bc as a way of tracking with less expense than MRI's. Even though for some they don't work, as you can see by some of the comments of others, they are worth doing, for consideration in combination with lab tests like alk-phos, ALT, AST, etc. The HER2 serum test so far is not recommended for early stage, but I think testing with CA 27.29, CA 15-3, and even combining testing with CEA or CA-125 for some does make a real difference if the treatment works.

If treatment actually makes no difference in lengthening life or improving QOL (and even worse, makes QOL poorer), then that is a very, very important piece of information.

If more recent treatment is becoming more successful in a wider group of people, then earlier detection DOES make a real difference.

AlaskaAngel
AlaskaAngel is offline   Reply With Quote