View Single Post
Old 07-06-2009, 02:41 PM   #1
Carolyns

Help with explaining treatment to general population

Hi All -

I may be doing an interview soon where I will be asked the patient's perspective on getting into clinical trials. As many of you know, I am heavily pretreated and am extremely interested in the TDM1 trials. Also, like many of my friends here on this board I like to be a very educated consumer and advocate. I wanted to find out if someone has an easy definition of how the various Her2 treatments work to target Her2 breast cancer. Specifically how is it thought that Herceptin, Tykerb, and Pertuzimab work differently / together to slow down/ stop Her2 disease? If you have an analogy that is easy to understand please share. In my real job I pride myself at making difficult concepts easy to understand…

My goal will be to put a face on a population of heavily pretreated patients with a desire for access to these newest trial drugs. To show that Stage IV breast cancer patients can look and act like anyone else with some luck and access to the latest treatments. To show that we are a very educated population that speaks about cancer without hesitation and with hope. To demonstrate that as patients we are active participants in this quest to find a cure for cancer. I also want to make my son proud and let him know that I am doing my best to stay healthy with Stage IV.

Knowledge is power and we have to be our own advocates. Thank you for sharing your knowledge.

Love, Hope, Peace, Carolyn
Carolyns is offline   Reply With Quote