View Single Post
Old 01-10-2012, 06:26 AM   #9
NEDenise

Re: Heart function decresed

Ellie,
Thanks for posting. So thoughtful and kind of you to reach out to us!

Jenny,
I was referred to a cardiologist, who prescribed enalapril. It's an ACE inhibitor, which, if I understand her correctly...which is never a certainty on my part...reduces the "strain" on my heart and allows it to recover faster. I take it twice a day, and so far there don't seem to be any side effects. Apparently it's used to treat high blood pressure too, but that's definitely not an issue for me...I usually hover around 110/70...

She also did blood tests for a heart enzyme (troponin)which would be elevated if there had been any permanent damage. It was not elevated. (Thank you, Jesus!)

And... yeah! what's up with the fraction/percentage thing?! Good catch (and thanks for the giggle)

I'm "all in" on the pact to never need Herceptin again, once our 12 months is up. Would that be a dream come tue, or what!!! And yet, right now....I waaaaant myyyyy Herceptin, and I want it NOOOOOOOW!!!

I feel like I'm just drifting...no direction to my fight. I hope I'll be okay with not having 'H' once my year is up. By then, I'm hoping not to be so stinkin' tired all the time....and I'll be busy living my regular life. But right now, I have too much time on my hands...and that allows my brain to wander to places better left unvisited.

Stage IV sisters who are reading this...please forgive me for wallowing and whining...when I think of what you deal with bravely, every single day, I'm humbled. You are an inspiration...and in my weak moments...I look to you, and know that I'll be okay, because you are blazing a trail for the rest of us. But, I bet you understand how scared Jenny and I are right now.

so...Jenny...I see the cardiologist on Thursday (just how I wanted to spend my 47th birthday!) and if I find out anything new and useful, I'll be sure to let you know. I'm definitely going to ask her about CoQ10 - heck! if Chris recommends it, that's all the endorsement I need!

Praying for all of us,
Denise

PS-I remember when my boys were 1 and 3...you must really be exhausted at the end of the day! But, what a great time that was! I envy you all the hugs and kisses you get each day! My boys are 12 and 14 now...I have to chase after my hugs and kisses!
4/12/11-A/C x 4, then T/H x 4, H only,Q3 weeks
8/26/11 finished Taxol!!!
10/7/11 mastectomy/DIEP recon
11/11 radiation x28
1/12/12 1st CANCER-VERSARY!
1/12 Low EF/Herceptin "Holiday" :(
2/12 EF up - Back on Herceptin, heart meds
4/2/1212 surgery to repair separated incision from DIEP recon
6/8/12 Return to work :)
6/17/12 Fall, shatter wrist,surgery to repair/insert plate :(
7/10/12 last Herceptin
7/23/12 Brain Mets %$&#! 3cm and 1cm
8/10/12 Gamma knife surgery, LOTS of steroids;start H/Tykerb
8/23/12 Back to work
12/20/12 Injure back-3 weeks in wheel chair
1/12/13 2nd CANCER-VERSARY!
1/14/13 herniate disk in back - surgery to repair
1/27/13 Radiation necrosis - edema in brain - back on steroids - but not back to work - off balance, poor cordination in right arm
5/3/13 Start Avastin to shrink necrosis
5/10/13 begin weaning steroids
6/18/13 Brain MRI - Avastin seems to be working!
6/20/13 quarterly CT - chest, abdomen, pelvis - All Clear!
7/5/13 finally off steroids!!
7/7/13 joined the ranks of the CHEMO NINJAS I am now Tekuto Ki Ariku cancer assassin!
7/13/13 Symptoms return - back on steroids
7/26/13 Back on Avastin - try again!
8/26/13 Not ready to return to classroom yet :( But I CAN walk without holding onto things! :)
9/9/13 Brain MRI - fingers crossed
“ Life is a grindstone, and whether it grinds you down or polishes you up is for you, and you alone, to decide. ” – Cavett Robert
NEDenise is offline   Reply With Quote