View Single Post
Old 12-25-2011, 12:31 PM   #17
laura4252

Re: NED Stage IV? Chemoless stage IV?

Hi Kim, This is Laura in Colorado Springs, Colorado. As of April 2011 I am Stage 4 with two small lung lesions. I have been on Herceptin for two years (infusion every three weeks at University Colorado Hospital in Denver, no port). I was diagnosed in 2005 DCIS, Stage 0, high grade, did lumpectomy & radiation. (Docs wanted to do mastectomy, I did not want the trauma of that surgery). In April 2009 I found small lump, same breast, diagnosed with invasive breast cancer. Docs still want me to do mastectomy. September 2009 I was to get chemotherapy (Herceptin, Taxotere, Carboplatin). The Herceptin went in fine, but I had a toxic reaction to Taxotere. April 2011 it moved to my left lung. June 2011 I tried Tykerb, but at two pills a day (was supposed to take 5), my stomach was always upset. I stopped after 3 weeks. My oncologist told me about a vaccine treatment in Thailand (Dr. Michael Har-Noy) that she felt was very "sophisticated science." She knows I don't want chemotherapy or mastectomy, and have remained firm on this. The cost (around $40,000, with five weeks in Thailand) makes it prohibitive for me. Right now I live with the two tumors in my right breast, and the two in my left lung. I plan on getting PET/CT scan in May & will see how things are going then. Like Chrissy said, you do the best you can to hold things at bay & hope that it buys you time for a cure.(Yes I am one of those that believes in CURE). The immunovative vaccine therapy will eventually get approved by the FDA so the treatment can be covered by health insurance. Every breast cancer is unique and responds differently in each of our bodies. That's why I never could accept how our docs practice statistical medicine. I watch this site and am confirmed in my own guarded approach to chemotherapy regimes, especially when I see so many women follow the rules (surgery, radiation, chemo), then find the cancer comes back. My best advice is for you to follow your instincts about what feels right for your own body, keep your immune system strong, and love life fully.
laura4252 is offline   Reply With Quote