View Single Post
Old 08-26-2007, 05:46 PM   #8
VaMoonRise
Deceased

Smile Love To Read!!!

I have been a book fanatic my entire life, since the time that I was first able to read a book all on my own I have not gone to sleep without reading at least a few pages. I love all books, doesn't really matter what the subject matter is, unless it is too violent/perverted or too far out there science fiction wise.

I have way too many that I absolutely love and want to recommend in this post but I will just list a few of my favorites to start with.

"The Highlander" by Diana Gibaldon. This is a series that takes place in Scotland. A Scottish woman is able to go back in time when she crosses through two stones at StoneHenge. She is taken back to the time when Scotland is fighting against England for it's freedom. She falls in love with a Highlander while back in time but she also has a husband and a daughter in current times. This a wonderful series that combines fiction with non-fiction. It is a real page turner as it truly has it all.

I also love anything by Nicholas Sparks. He wrote the book that you may all be familiar with because it was made into a movie called the "Notebook." All of his books are well worth the read and they all take place in NC where he lives.

"The Prodigal Summer" by Barbara Kingsolver is also one of my favorites. If you like strong women and nature you will love this book. It gives lots of great facts about wildlife and how to prevent insects in your gardens through natural means instead of through the use of insecticides. It is a fiction, nonfiction book with some really tremendous characters in it.

There is a great book out called "First Ladies" too. It gives a bio of all the first ladies and great photo's throughout. I can't recall the author at the moment but if anyone is truly interested just drop a line and I will get the book out and give you the authors name.

Another great read is "Chesapeake" by James Michener. It is a history of the Chesapeake Bay area from the time of when only Indians inhabited the area to current times. Very informative and well written, not a dry read by any means, very enjoyable.
Thanks for starting this great thread. I can't wait to read many of the recommended books listed on here. Let's be sure to write our reviews of any of the books we have read from the recommended reading list too. Should be fun.

Thanks, Ladies,
Nicola

March 18, 2004, Age 36
Diagnosed: High Grade DCIS, Microcalcifications, Solid and Comedo type, Nuclear grade 3 with 1mm margins, ER+, PR+, Stage "0"
3-8-04 Left breast lumpectomy.
4-1-04 thru 6-24-04 Adjuvant XRT.
11-29-05 Gallbladder attack.
12-01-05 Surgery to have gallbladder removed, discovered cancer spread throughout liver in both lobes, HER2+ amplified by FISH and interestingly enough negative for ER and PR.
12-9-05 Clinical trial consisting of Tykerb, Taxol and Herceptin along with Zometa once a month. On clinical trial for 15 months before liver mets started progressing. Started on Navelbine 3-9-07. Navelbine failed, switched to Gemzar July 07. MRI of the brain on July 7, 07. Results revealed multiple brain tumors. Taken off of Gemzar immediately and began 15 rounds of WBR which I completed on July 26, 07. CT scan on 7-26-07 significant progression in the liver mets. I am now getting ready to start on Xeloda along with Herceptin and Zometa once a month.
VaMoonRise is offline   Reply With Quote