View Single Post
Old 01-29-2008, 06:38 PM   #11
Becky

I did a lot of research prior to surgery and waiting for my pathology results. I already knew the tumor was a Stage 1 size and my nodes weren't palpable. I told my husband I could take anything but I sure hoped I wasn't Her2neu. I felt confident I wasn't since it is only 20% of the people. When I was diagnosed, there was no adjuvant Herceptin (I got it 4 months after my last chemo due to good timing of the trial results). However, I was involved with this group for a long time. I did one of the Young Survival Coilition booth shows (when I met Love & Light Lisa). At that show, I met dozens of Her2+ women who were 3, 5, 8+ year survivors who were Her2 and did not get Herceptin - for some, the trial wasn't even begun. Randy Rosenberg, past President of the YSC and on their board of directors is 10+ years and is Her2 - never recurred! The thing we all have to remember is more do not recur than do. It is not a death sentence, even without Herceptin. It just recurs more often than the ER+/PR+ type. My first onc said about twice as much. So, when you look at statistics (many are 5 or 10 year survival stats - prior to Herceptin, prior to dense dose and in the 10 year case - even 6 yrs - prior to taxanes), he said if it says 85% that it is 75% for a Her2+. If one says that Herceptin reduces recurrence by 50% that means that a Her2+ person is now at 87.5% - better than ER+/PR+. And what does that mean with taxanes, dense dose, lifestyle studies etc.

It seems scary but cancer is scary - no matter what kind of bc you have but at least all the researchers just love our little ole Her2 receptor. That's fine with me.

Becky

Found lump via BSE
Diagnosed 8/04 at age 45
1.9cm tumor, ER+PR-, Her2 3+(rt side)
2 micromets to sentinel node
Stage 2A
left 3mm DCIS - low grade ER+PR+Her2 neg
lumpectomies 9/7/04
4DD AC followed by 4 DD taxol
Used Leukine instead of Neulasta
35 rads on right side only
4/05 started Tamoxifen
Started Herceptin 4 months after last Taxol due to
trial results and 2005 ASCO meeting & recommendations
Oophorectomy 8/05
Started Arimidex 9/05
Finished Herceptin (16 months) 9/06
Arimidex Only
Prolia every 6 months for osteopenia

NED 18 years!

Said Christopher Robin to Pooh: "You must remember this: You're braver than you believe and stronger than you seem and smarter than you think"

Last edited by Becky; 01-29-2008 at 08:02 PM..
Becky is offline   Reply With Quote