View Single Post
Old 06-06-2014, 05:21 PM   #23
KristinSchwick

Re: Help, cancer has spread from bones to my lungs

Ladies and Paul
The reason I haven't gotten a second opinion is that my father is an family doc, and I've been getting his opinion all along this 4 year journey. Before my mother passed away (another family doc) - she would be all over clinical trials.gov, keeping an eye out for a trial just for me. I'm also very close with a few faculty at the UI where I got my PhD and they all think that my oncologist is the best out there, he specializes in breast cancer and has successfully treated my friend with stage III breast cancer while pregnant, both baby and mother are still fine.

The main reason I haven't gotten a second opinion is that a friend I made from Immerman Angels got a second opinion from cancer center treatments of America and wa very underwelmed. First the process was horrible- they want everything from your first biopsy sample (yes the first biopsy slide) to your PET scans burned onto discs. Then at the end of it all you have to make sure you get it all back. So I am scared that something could get lost. Secondly, they told my friend that they'd do the exact same thing that her doctor was doing already.
I have a long history and he monthly presents my "profile" to the tumor board, a group of oncologists, surgeons, radiation oncologists who give their expert opinion on everything treatment related. So I feel like I am pretty well covered at the moment, but I will look into it again and see if there are any clinical trials at the UW in Madison or Twin Cities to see if a clinical trial would be beneficial.
March 2011: 6 wks rads.
Mother passed, lower back pain.
Late May 2011: Bone mets but organs clear; Tykerb, Xeloda, Xgeva. Stopped Herceptin. Implant infected: removed implant.
October 2011: Bone progression; Gemzar and Carboplatin & restarted Herceptin.
Jan 2012: Progression, re-classified as ER+; Tykerb, Herceptin, Zoladex & Femara. Anti-E is working!
May 2012: ovaries out, markers stable but elevated. Cont. Herceptin, Tykerb, Xgeva & Femara.
Dec 2012: aromasin
Jan 2013: faslodex, herceptin, tykerb
Jun: Kadcyla
Aug: Rads to hip, then Perjeta, Herceptin & Taxotere
Nov 2013: Perjeta, Herceptin, Halaven
Early 2014: Affinitor, Aromasin, Perjeta, Herceptin.
June 2014: Estradiol, Perjeta, Herceptin
Aug 14: Tamoxofin, H & P
http://kristin-notdying-blog.blogspot.com/
KristinSchwick is offline   Reply With Quote