View Single Post
Old 08-13-2006, 08:38 AM   #12
Kaye

Probiotics apparently reduces ammonia levels--per other article sent. One thing I have been doing, because of a gift of a friend, is probiotics.
She gave me a homemade kefir (liquid yogurt) culture which I take/make regularly. One can get liquid yogurt--kefir in a health foods store as well. As I mentioned, I am making my own.
In October 2004 I had a CTC (circulating tumor cell) blood test. My level was "4." Supposedly anything >2 is significant. During this time MRI scans showed what was suggestive of a possible malignant mass in the soft tissue area of my neck. I was in agony--couldn't lay down--was sleeping almost sitting up. Around this time I also supposedly had a tumor in my submandibular gland (not near the neck mass). I learned of this tumor in January. That same day I saw the radiologist who had done the scan and he recommended going on a vegan diet. That afternoon we met with friends we hadn't seen in almost 10 years. They gave me a gift of liquid kefir--my own culture to grow. I was trying to think of a polite way to not take this gift since the dr. had recommended I go vegan. Our friends told me that it could also be made vegetarian with soy. I took the gift and did it the way they did it.
I should mention that the culture was given to them by their Chinese opthalmologist who swears by its anti-cancer effects. Our friend had had elevated prostate levels at the time and after he began using it, they went down.
So, I decided to try it. This was in early January, 2005. Over the next 3 months the pain in my neck went away. In April I had the submandibular gland removed (different than the suggested soft tissue malignancy). Later that month I had another CTC (circulating tumor cell test). The result was now "0." The pain in my neck was gone. The next MRI showed the soft tissue mass to be gone.
Could it have been the kefir--probiotic treatment? Could the surgery to take out the gland have also had a placebo effect which somehow did something to change the environment of the soft tissue mass--even if not near the submandibular gland?
I have no clue--but the pain started going away soon after starting the probiotics.
This all happened 16 mos. ago.
Kaye is offline   Reply With Quote