View Single Post
Old 07-18-2006, 06:03 PM   #11
fcrcm

Hey Callen03

Like you, I have been looking for Stage IV survivors. I am a 15 year survivor. I was diagnosed at age 49 w 2 cm tumor, 9 out of 16 nodes +, ER+ AND metastases in my bones (vertebrae) We didn't even know about Her2Nu in 1991 but I know now that I am Her2Nu++. I have 3 children - high school students in 1991.

I had a full mastectomy and lymphectomy (to check for + nodes), 4 treatments of CAF, 42 rads. to breast and axilla, and started on tamoxifan. A year later the mets on my vertebrae began to grow so I had 20 more rads (to vertebrae) and then underwent a bone marrow transplant (which they don't do for Breast CA anymore because the results weren't worth the horrible treatment.)

I was NED from Feb 1993 until November 2005. Now I have extensive bone mets and lymph involvement and liver mets. Have been on Herceptin for 8 months and am living a good life.

My children have all married, they support themselves, and I have 3 grandchildren. I am now 64.

Treatment is so much more sophisticated than it was 15 years ago, and not nearly so awful. And there are new immuno therapies all the time. The first 12 years of my "remission" were quite OK. In the last 2, before they finally found the liver mets, I was feeling quite bad. My onc kept telling me to take a multi-vitamin and get more exercize. I was an exercize freak - so it was kind of a relief when they finally admitted I was sick again and began to give me treatment.

Of course I am interested to know if anyone out there has a story like mine. Anyone?
fcrcm is offline   Reply With Quote