Thread: sensitive teeth
View Single Post
Old 05-21-2006, 08:40 PM   #3
rinaina

Hi, I am a retired dental hygienist and my educated advice would be to have impecable home care consisting of brushing thoroughly for a minimum of 2 minutes 2-3x a day, flossing at least 1x a day and rinsing with a fluoride rinse for cavity protection. You should also be seen by a dentist minimally 2x a year and more if you have gum problems. If your gum problems are more involved then you should be seeing a periodontist. Professional cleaning is a must a few times a year or more. Dry mouth can lead to an increase in cavity activity as our saliva is a buffer and when dry mouth occurs we lose that protection. Extra fluoride can make a huge difference either in the form of a fluoride rinse or prescription fluoride paste. Ask your dentist about this. There are many products now on the market that can help with dry mouth including prescriptions. I have a question...has anyone suffered from increased dry eyes since starting chemo? I already have dry eye syndrome and dry mouth as well due to my autoimmune disease called Sjogren's Syndrome and worry how much worse the dryness will get.
Rina
AC 4 dense doses
34 radiation treatments including booster doses
receiving herceptin every 3 weeks since late August 2006 for 12 months
rinaina is offline   Reply With Quote