View Single Post
Old 05-12-2006, 11:34 AM   #6
Monique M

My husband changed jobs during my treatment. I believe that as long as you do not lapse in coverage then your breast cancer is not considered a pre-existing condition and will be covered. We actually paid for COBRA for one month and continued his insurance with his old employer to make sure that the new insurance was in effect and would cover my treatment. While it was not cheap ($800) it was worth it to us. You should have your husband speak with the HR people at his new job to see when your new coverage will become effective. Also, he should be offered COBRA benefits from his current employer when he leaves the company.

I run my own business and want my husband to come and work with me. If he works with me we will lose our medical insurance (after we have exhausted the 18 months of COBRA). I have consulted various insurance options through my business and unfortunately no one will insure me on a private policy. So we are currently researching where he could work part-time to get us on a group insurance policy. He may end up bagging groceries or making lattes at Starbucks just so we have insurance coverage.

Good Luck!
Monique

Birmingham, AL
Monique M is offline   Reply With Quote