View Single Post
Old 02-25-2006, 11:55 AM   #1
Michelle

BC epidemic(Are women's health concerns still ignored)

Ok, this is not very nice, but don't you think if 1 in 7 men were getting prostate cancer there would be more hoopla? I truly don't think people are really seeing this as the epidemic it really is. It seems the women are getting younger and younger too.
Let me be honest enough to tell you, I knew nothing about breast cancer at 33 last yr. Unfortunately , all that has changed. I was truly shocked to find out 1 in 7 women would recieve a BC dx. in thier lifetime , and that being young at dx was really not all that uncommon. The media , and medical professional's sure lead you to believe it is.
Also, during Breast cancer month you hear much talk of survivors, but very little of the women living day to day with Stage 4. I have heard several times-you'll be fine my (friend, Aunt , relative) has survived 20yrs. Well, do these people realize the different types of bc and how they affect prognosis?
My question is don't you think the education we are recieving in the Media should be more informative? I still read articles that say young women really should not worry. If you ask most women they will believe if they have no family history they are fine.
Personally, I wish I had been better educated. I believe because BC has become such an epidemic our young girls should even be educated about it in sex ed. Maybe Im just ranting here, but several conversations I've had lately bring me back to how little I knew a yr. ago, and how much more I should have been educated on something that will affect many of the women in our lives.
Michelle
Michelle is offline   Reply With Quote