View Single Post
Old 02-23-2006, 09:48 PM   #7
al from Canada

a doctor of vision

Dear Natalie,

My heart truly goes out to you for having to have experienced this much grief so early in your life. Your only 2 years older than our eldest daughter and I can't help but think....You shouldn't be here but, now that you are, you have come across the most positive and educational support group out there.

As far as your HER2 status goes, I think your oncologist is brilliant and a person with vision. Chances are that you started with the negative tumor and it broke-off and created its own signature: HER2+. It has also been established that tumors will change their receptor identities as they spread, esp. HER2 and ER. My thought is that if your tumor, or its remains, wished to spread more it may become HER2+++. Herceptin will not work in tumors that are weakly HER2+ but who knows what the HER2 status of the 6th lymph node is. I think taking herceptin may help knock-out any new little micro-mets floating out there which may be HER2 stronger than any of the parent cells.

We all here know what a traumatic time this has been for you and truly emphasis. I think that given another oncologist, your situation would be very worrysome BUT, yours is on the ball and I feel your doctor has tipped the odds in your favor. Just remember that stress weakens the immune system and you need it to fight the cancer. Stay positive and all will be well.

Good luck and don't be a stranger,
Al