View Single Post
Old 12-18-2005, 11:08 AM   #2
Tom

Smile Lapatinib

Dear Nicola,

I am sorry to hear that you have found yourself in such a position, but I think you have reason to be quite hopeful. You have been blessed, in an odd sort of way, to have your disease in a time of wondeful new treatment options. I for one, would be tickled if I could get my Mom permission to use lapatinib. I believe this drug will be even better than Herceptin.

Lapatinib targets not only the same receptor site that Herceptin does, but also another very important one called VEGF. Lapatinib is referred to as a dual action tyrosine kinase inhibitor. This gives you twice the bang for the buck. VEGF allows the tumor to grow a new blood supply to feed itself (angiogenesis). So, you will have lapatinib shutting down the HER2 defect in the tumor, as well as it's attempt to provide enough blood to grow larger (HER1). I am actually jealous that you have been offered such a drug. It is not available right now other than in clinical trials. It is thought by many to be the next "big deal" in the area of targetted therapies, and will be used in those patients for whom Herceptin has stopped working.

Please keep this website informed of all that is going on with you, as we all need incouragement from time to time, and I think your story just might turn out to be one of great hope for all of us. Take care, and keep up your faith. These are amazing times in the world of cancer treatment.

Sincerely,
Tom
Tom is offline   Reply With Quote