View Single Post
Old 08-26-2005, 07:16 AM   #71
LindaBL

Kathy and BarbaraL:

I DID decide to do Herceptin and I'm 2 1/2 years away from my last chemo. This website helps me feel positive about my decision. Even so, I am still feeling unsure about doing Herceptin because I am the furthest out from my original treatment in my oncologist's practice. It looks like a very long year! It's an emotional thing to be back in the chemo department--breast cancer is again constantly in my life.

diagnosed Oct. of 2002 with 2.4 cm IDC, neg nodes, ER+, PR+, Her2+

Lumpectomy, 4 AC, radiation and Arimidex

Like you, I went back and forth about starting treatment. When I was originally diagnosed, I wanted to get Herceptin but didn't qualify for the trial. It has been on my mind...After hearing about the great trial results, I called my oncologist and asked if I was a candidate for Herceptin. I got the same answers--no one really knows. My doctor went to the ASCO conference and has supported me in MY DECISION to start the treatment. He said he doesn't think it will hurt me but doesn't know if it will help either. I asked, if he were me, would he do Herceptin--he said yes (but didn't want to influence me). When my insurance said they would cover it, I started in June 2005.

I am on the three week schedule and having some minor side effects including being very hard to get an IV access (may need a port). If Herceptin becomes too much of a quality of life issue, I figure I can always stop.

My oncologist does not do tumor markers. The blood tests you have been getting may be for CBC (blood cell counts) and some chemistry tests for liver and kidney function, ect.

Linda