Thread: Herceptin Cost
View Single Post
Old 08-25-2005, 09:41 PM   #6
shaeff
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Nancy,

I am a little confused, was the HER2 test on the tumor from last September. The below discussion is assuming that the HER 2 test is from the original tumor and not a reoccurance.

I don't want to scare you but I have done a lot of research in the last two weeks. Keep in mind that these are just statistics and a lot more goes into survival, like attitude etc.

One item I found was that there is a 20% chance that your cancer has already spread if you caught is in stage one with no positive nodes. The problem is that current medical techniques can not detect it. In our case, there is above a 90% chance it has already spread (we are at least stage III when discovered). We find out the test results tomorrow if it has spread (detectable spread) which would put us in stage IV.

The chance of 5 year survival is about 45% on herceptin based treatment for advanced stage cancers. I haven't sceen a lot of data on early stage cancers but it should be significantly higher.

My sister had a 2 cm BC tumor last year and decided not to have chemo. Not for financial reasons but for quality of life reasons. She feals confident that it didn't spread and the odds are in her favor.

I guess the only one that can answer your question is you. How confident are you that it hasn't spread and you are clear. Deep down you probably know the answer and you should go with it. If you decide that Herceptin is for you then I am sure that the financial aspects of that option will be worked out. (Most insurances have a max copay when you have an 80% plan) Typically it is 5000 but plans vary.

As for our case, we haven't even tought of the cost when looking at treatment options. As for me, I would rather be broke and have my wife alive, than rich and a widower. We will worry about the money later. If that is our biggest worry, then we have come out of this in great shape.

Good luck,

Shaeff
  Reply With Quote